Why Shop Local?
1. Supports the local economy and economic recovery. For every $100 spent locally, $48 stays in the local economy and you contribute to Folsom’s economic recovery.
2. Retains and creates jobs in Folsom. Local businesses hire employees locally, as well as contractors and vendors to help them run their businesses, known as the “multiplier effect.”
3. Funds essential public services. Local spending puts your taxes to good use. Sales tax revenue is a major source of funding for the City of Folsom budget, representing about 30 percent of the city’s general fund revenue. Money from local purchases is reinvested in essential services, like public safety, parks, road improvements, and animal services.
4. Businesses support the unique character of the community. The unique character of the Folsom community is defined in large part by the businesses that reside here.
5. Promotes growth from within. Local shopping is crucial to the growth of our local economy. The success of local businesses attracts other entrepreneurs to start local businesses, leading to more jobs and revenue recirculating throughout our community.
6. Keeps money in Folsom. When a person shops online, the consumer enjoys a short-term benefit, but the community does not. While Folsom receives a percentage of online sales tax dollars, it is significantly less than when a purchase is made at a local brick-and-mortar store.
7. Invests in community. Local businesses invest more in the community, its nonprofits, sports teams, and special events. They tend to care more, volunteer more, sponsor more, and give more. Local businesses tend to be more invested in the community’s future.
Supports the Local Economy and Economic Recovery
Retains and Creates Jobs in Folsom
Funds Essential Public Services.
Businesses Support the Unique Character of the Community
Promotes Growth From Within
Keeps Money in Folsom
Invests in Community